Performance Pet Products
Mitchell, South Dakota
Farmers Union Industries, LLC, also known as FUI, is a leading agricultural based manufacturing company based in Redwood Falls, MN. FUI is a premier provider of specialized products, providing superior value and services to our members and customers. Our current operations include Central Bi-Products, Northland Choice, Midwest Grease, Artex Manufacturing, Pet Care Systems, Redwood Farms Meat Processors, and Performance Pet Products. FUI currently manufactures in 8 facilities in a three state area, including: Redwood Falls, Long Prairie, Waite Park and Detroit Lakes, Minnesota; Mitchell, South Dakota and Estherville, Iowa. For more information, visit fuillc.com.
Job Title: R&D Technician
Location: Mitchell, SD
Reports To: R&D Manager
Areas of Accountability
All areas of accountability to be delivered in a manner that aligns with the values and business strategy of Farmers Union Industries, LLC.
- Formula Testing/Samples
- Formulation Support
- Regulatory Compliance (Testing & Safety)
- Formula Testing Records/Reporting
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide technical support with expertise in research and development of new products and product improvement
- Formulate and package test variables of products; record formula, process and product data for internal and external samples
- Issue and document formula specification per R&D Manager approvals
- Issue nutritional label or supplement fact panel based on formula
- Report status of and provide guidance on continuous improvement of internal programs to management
- Maintain and organize all documentation for product safety and regulation compliance regarding formulas/ingredients
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines to ensure quality of work
- Perform routine instrument maintenance and troubleshooting, as needed
Situations may arise that require employees to temporarily or permanently assume responsibility for tasks not specifically outlined in this job description. Employees may be requested to work additional hours and/or accommodate a heavier than normal workload.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related field; or comparable years’ experience, preferred
- 2+ years’ experience in R&D lab/manufacturing environment
- Knowledgeable in food safety, quality and USDA regulations and developing SOP, HACCP and FSMA plans
- Proficient in operation of all lab testing equipment
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with high level of professionalism
- Strong sense of initiative and independent problem-solving with the ability to manage time and deadlines with little supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite – Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Travel up to 10%, annually
AA/EEO/Drug-Free Workplace. We use E-Verify.